In 30 Years of Holiday Packing & Shipping, This Is What We Have Learned
For over 30 years, AIM Mail Center locations have been serving the packing and shipping needs of their communities. They often see the same mistakes during the holidays, so the experts have complied a list of their top 5 packing and shipping tips to help your gifts arrive on time and intact this holiday season.
- Don’t Decorate the Exterior of Your Package. Of course you want your package to look nice, but wrapping the outside of the box with paper could result in the shipping label getting torn off. Even something simple like tying string or ribbon around the box could cause problems because the string will get caught in the sorting machines. In addition, even though other types of tape have decorative options, make sure to use professional-grade packaging tape to seal your box so it doesn’t open up during shipping.
- Ship Early To Avoid Delays. While there are options for shipping holiday gifts fast, it is risky because bad weather and the increase in shipping volume can cause delays. If you want your gift to arrive before a specific date, make sure to send it well before the shipping deadlines.
- Choose the Right Shipping Method, Not the Cheapest. The cheapest way to ship is often the slowest and not trackable, which usually isn’t a good fit for holiday gifts. Compare rates and services between UPS, FedEx, and USPS to find the right shipping method for your holiday gifts.
- If Necessary, Purchase Extra Insurance. Typically, basic value protection is included in the cost of shipping, but depending on what you’re shipping, that may not be enough. Consult with the professionals at your local shipping center, and purchase extra insurance for your package if necessary.
- Take The Advice of the Experts. The people working in your local shipping center are experienced with proper packaging techniques, and they are familiar with the rules and regulations of the various carriers. If you let them guide you through the packing and shipping process, your gifts are more likely to arrive on time and undamaged.
This holiday season, when you’re ready to pack and ship your gifts, visit the AIM Mail Center nearest you and let the experts do the work for you. The friendly staff members will package your gifts to help ensure safe arrival, and they can compare shipping rates for UPS, FedEx and USPS to determine which service best fits your needs.