Quick and Easy Passport Photos
Do you know where to get passport photos? The United States State Department defines a passport as an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.
Who needs a passport?
Everyone who will be traveling outside the United States and wants to return needs a passport.
Can I mail in my passport photos taken at AIM Mail Centers along with my application?
Yes, but only if it is for a renewal of an existing, current and valid passport. If you meet the following criteria, you can mail in your application:
- Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged;
- You received the passport within the last 15 years;
- You were over 16 when it was issued;
- You still have the same name, or you can legally document your name change.
If you do not meet the criteria listed above for a renewal through the mail, you will need to bring your application in person to an acceptance facility. Examples of situations in which you will need to bring your application in person:
- If you’re applying for a passport for the first time;
- If your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession;
- If your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago;
- If your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under 16;
- If your currently valid U.S. passport had been lost or stolen.
Many federal and state courts, post offices, public libraries, and a number of county and city offices are able to process your passport application.
At AIM Mail Centers, we take professional US passport photos, accepted by passport processing agencies. And if you have an emergency and need a passport right now, AIM Mail Centers can help you get an emergency passport in as little as 24 hours!
Most stores accept walk-in’s, so no appointment is needed, but call the phone number at the top of the screen for your passport photo needs.
Plan Ahead for High Demand
There is currently a high demand for new passports and passport renewals. It is recommended to submit your passport requests well in advance of travel or expedite your items (if necessary) when using available Passport Services.*
We’ve put together a few tips to help you get ahead of the travel rush:
- Take your passport photos and/or renew your passport at least 4 months in advance of your trip
- If you urgently need a passport, Expedited Passport Services are highly recommended
- Choose expedited shipping when mailing in your forms
- Contact your local PostalAnnex with any questions about available Passport Services
*Availability of Passport Services may vary by location.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I take my own passport photo with a smartphone or digital camera?
- Yes, but passport photos have certain requirements you must follow, including a white background, proper lighting, and size specifications. It’s best to utilize a professional passport photo service like AIM Mail Centers to ensure your image meets those requirements.
- Can I change my passport photo for my current passport?
- You can change your photo if your appearance has significantly changed from what is in your current passport.
- How recent does the photo have to be?
- The photo must be taken within the last 6 months.
- Should I wear my eyeglasses in the photo?
- The US Department of State restricts glasses from being worn in a passport photo.